Follow the instructions below to configure Netscape Messenger 6.1 for use with your Directnic POP3 account.
Note: An example account name was used through the
instructions. Please substitute your Directnic POP3 email address information
for the account used in the instructions.
Note: Netscape 4.x does not work with our POP3 service because it refuses to send the @ symbol or anything after it when checking mail, even if configured correctly. If you are using Netscape 4.x, please upgrade it to Netscape 6.
Netscape Messenger 6
1. Open Netscape Mail from Start/Programs/Netscape 6/Mail. If you already have Netscape Navigator main screen open, click on the Tasks menu item on the top menu bar (or press ALT-T), then choose/click on the sub-options called Mail.
2. In the Mail Window, open the "Edit" menu and choose Mail/News Account Settings.
3. Then on the Account Settings dialog box, click choose "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" on the left window, and enter pop.directnic.com in the Server Name box on the right.
Please do not check the "User name and password" box. Under "Use secure connection (SSL), choose "Never." Then, click OK.
(You can click "New Account" and finish the Wizard first, and then come back and edit the Outgoing Server Settings.)
4. When you are back to the Local Folders window, click on the "Create a new account" link under Accounts to activate the New Account wizard.
5. Choose the type of account you want to set up, and click Next.
6. In the Identity section, enter your name (as you would like it to appear in the "From" field of messages you send) and email address ( firstname.lastname@example.org), and click Next.
7. In the Server Information section, select the type of incoming mail server POP3. Enter the incoming server name and the outgoing (SMTP) server name (pop.directnic.com). Then click Next.
Note: Only one outgoing mail server (SMTP) needs to be specified, even if you have several mail accounts. If you have not configured the SMTP settings, then you should go back to steps 2 & 3 when you finish the wizard.
8. In the User Name section, enter your full email address (email@example.com) and click Next.
9. In the Account Name section, assign a name for this account (for example, "Work" or "Family" or simply your email address), and click Next.
10. Verify that the information you entered is correct. If necessary, verify the information you entered with your ISP or system administrator. Then click Finish to set up your account.
Configuration is complete!
Serving Customers Since 2000