Director, Software Engineering
The Director of Software Development will be responsible for managing the software delivery of our Registrar business. As a member of the Company’s leadership team, the Director of Software Development helps guide the design and development of our software products. This position requires an experienced, hands-on leader with the ability to coach and lead an existing team of skilled software engineers in all phases of software development, including planning, programming, testing, deployment, and ongoing maintenance.
This individual must have experience as a software developer and be able to roll up their sleeves and help the team as needed in a multi language environment (PHP, Golang, Python, Bash). Incumbent must be willing to collaborate and be a solid team player.
A successful candidate will possess strong interpersonal and communication skills and be able to influence and inspire success of the team and company. As a key leadership position with high visibility, the position will report directly to the COO and be responsible for mission critical software services.
- Oversee the development, quality assurance, and production environments including codebase change management and release management processes.
- Design and manage the entire software development lifecycle for all products and services.
- Mentor engineers to utilize best practices on design sessions, unit testing, and code reviews.
- Ensure that corporate policies related to these initiatives are upheld through the development cycle.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of projects and staff. Communicate with the development team routinely to ensure deliverables are on schedule.
- Make recommendations to executive management about schedules, prioritization, and resource allocation.
- Represent the software development team as a technical lead through customer interactions.
- Work with key stakeholders to design and deliver new product features that improve our customers' businesses.
- Coach and mentor team members on best practices.
- Lead and motivate a team of software development members.
- Contribute to architecture, implementation and support decisions.
- Provide hands-on support to team when necessary.
- Participate in code reviews and contribute to team and personal learning.
- Manage software development KPIs and create reports for senior leadership team.
- Lead review meetings to determine status, identify problem areas and suggest corrective actions
- Act as lead during high priority escalations.
- Leads team to improving processes and tools that relate to the team's execution and overall productivity.
- Fine tune overall system performance and continuously identify performance bottleneck/improvement opportunities.
- A proven track record as a software development manager, including 5+ years of technical experience as a software developer, development manager, or related role.
- Ability to hire and retain talented software engineers and operations personnel to create a continuously improving, high-performance team.
- Ability to communicate, advocate, and influence at all levels within the company.
- Ability to respect and handle diversity amongst staff and office environments.
- Fast and enthusiastic learner with a desire to increase knowledge and understanding of the domain industry
- Ability to get into the nitty gritty of how a product works and communicate its value clearly and exquisitely.
- History of hitting deadlines and building team chemistry.
- Systems-Thinking Mindset.
- Ability to recruit talented team members through local Meetups, social media, networking events, etc.
- Highly organized, with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage large workload, while producing quality work in a fast-paced environment with interruptions and deadlines.
- Ability to develop creative solutions to client and internal problems and challenges.
- Ability to contribute to building a strong and positive team environment as well as align with our company values.
Desired Experience and Education
- 3+ years of experience in engineering management and leadership.
- 5+ years of experience in software development.
- Experience building large software systems
- Naturally effective written and verbal communicator.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- At least 5 years PHP/Golang experience